The URM is a faith-based, Christian organization dedicated to creating a safe, secure, inclusive space for anyone wishing to be a part of a community. We are looking for someone who has strong gifting in security, people management skills, guest hospitality, coupled with a vibrant spiritual life in-tune with God’s heart for the people we serve.
- Support guests’ access to Upper Room Mission services and property
- Monitor our guests’ use of our facility and property, and enforce appropriate boundaries to protect all staff and volunteers while delivering excellent service.
- Maintain a welcoming environment at the Mission. Welcome our guests to the Upper Room Mission and guide guests to the services they might need.
- Maintain a safe environment for our guests and staff. This includes identifying crisis situations, minimizing the harm to the individual and others, using de-escalation skills and assisting guests in exploring their options.
- Be able to enforce the house rules to ensure a safe environment
- Maintain a clean environment. This includes cleaning tables, chairs and washroom facilities.
- Build healthy professional relationships with guests who are looking to access services by actively listening, providing community resources and referrals, de-escalating conflict and maintaining healthy boundaries.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism, respect and gratitude with all staff, donors, volunteers, guests and visitors
- Any other task or activity that might be required to help the Mission in its operations. This could include cleaning tables and chairs after mealtimes, helping with donation deliveries, and ensuring bathrooms are clean and operational, to name a few.
- Report to the General Manager.
- A demonstrated understanding of the issues contributing to poverty
- Minimum of one-year related experience working with individuals facing mental health, addictions, chronic illness, homelessness, poverty and related challenges. Equivalent experience may be considered.
- Diploma or experience in the human services field with a background in social work or addictions, an asset
- Excellent de-escalation and conflict-resolution skills
- Security and enforcement skills are an asset
- Highly motivated, compassionate, creative and responsible person
- First Aid, Non-violent Crisis Intervention Training an asset
- Moderate physical effort: considerable periods of standing, walking and cleaning.
- High mental effort: identify and assess conflict, problem solve, maintain healthy boundaries, maintain security and provide empathetic support for guests facing extreme personal struggles