How Can Volunteering Help You and Your Community?
Have you ever considered volunteering? Often, we think of volunteering as something that benefits others, but did you know that it also has many great benefits for the volunteer? Volunteering directly benefits both you and your community in numerous ways. Volunteering can benefit your overall health, career, social life, and even bring more happiness into your life. Here are some ways volunteering will benefit both you and the community:
- Give back to your community – It’s a great feeling to give back and support the place where you live. Vernon has so many wonderful organizations that support many different members of the community. It is a benefit for both you and our city when you volunteer.
- Make new friends – Volunteering is a great way to meet new people! You will be working alongside people you may not otherwise know, and it’s a great chance to develop meaningful relationships.
- It benefits your mental, emotional, and physical health – Giving back and connecting to others, as well as moving your body, are all things that support your mental, emotional, and physical health. There are even studies that show how we are hardwired to give and that doing good for others cultivates happiness in our lives.
- Can advance your career – The skills and knowledge you can gain from volunteering can be a huge benefit in advancing your career, showcasing your abilities for future jobs, or helping you with school applications. The act of volunteering can expose you to new opportunities and give you the chance to try out a new career without making a commitment.
- Brings joy and fulfillment into your life – Taking a break from our daily routine can give us a fresh perspective and help us develop clarity and creativity. Volunteering is an opportunity to do something meaningful that can bring a sense of fulfillment and adventure to your life.
How to Volunteer with the Upper Room Mission
So you’ve seen the benefits of volunteering, and you want to jump in! So what do you need to do next?
First, complete a volunteer application. After you have completed the application, someone will contact you to schedule an interview. You will need to sign our volunteer guidelines and policies and complete a criminal record check. We will then find you a spot in our volunteer schedule based on your availability and our opportunities.
We have a number of areas you can volunteer:
- Guest Services
- Cleaning and laundry
- The Boutique Thrift Store
Whatever your skills and whatever your schedule, there’s a place at the Mission where you can make a lasting difference. We have multiple opportunities, and you can sign up today to strengthen our community and support our neighbours experiencing homelessness and poverty.